Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Throughout most of the year life just goes. We get up do the daily grind come home and get ready to do it all over again the next day. But there are several days during our year when we are supposed to pause and reflect and be thankful. Memorial Day is such a day. 

Though I've never been in the military I have several family members who have been or are in the Armed Forces. My brother - The Army, my Uncle - Army, my father - Army, my cousin Roy - Airforce, my cousin Yalonda - Army. And it's the last one that has me writing today. Yalonda K. Smith, stationed in Iraq. It's been years since we've talked or even seen each other but I love her and have concern for her well being. It's been some time since people have heard from her though we all hope for the best. And in this case no news is good news as she is not a frontline soldier. Even though she's had the training some things don't change. Hell, this is the same woman who as a young girl was afraid of fish guts. 

That aside, I wonder and worry from time to time. And can only hope that she will be able to return to her family in one piece, alive and well. 

So, it is today that I pause to reflect upon her and the others who are away from their loved ones, serving our country - The United States of America. They didn't start the war, they are but soldiers doing their sworn duty. Let's hope that they all come home soon.

Peace, to one and all. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home