Saturday, August 30, 2014

Be at peace, you dick...

Everyone that has ever lived has known someone who has died. That's how things go, you live, you die, people come in and go out of your life. I just found out a friend of mine passed away. We weren't close but we shared time, we hung out, killed more than a few drinks, threw more money at strippers than we should have, had good laughs, and had a few embarrassing moments. Right or wrong he was my friend. He has been missed and will be missed... the dick.

If you've read this far you might wonder why I called my friend Robb a dick. It's simple. He didn't need to die and it's his own fault. When you know that alcohol is killing you, destroying your liver, you have a choice to make. Do you keep doing what you're doing or do you make a change in your life? At one point he chose to live. He cut his drinking down to light beer, moved to a different state, he chose to live!

Something changed. I don't know what it was. But he made a choice to go back to his old ways. Drink every night, til the bars closed. What can you say or do to a person who has chosen a path of self destruction? Nothing. Their choice has been made.

I'm no angel. I've done stupid things, made bad decisions, paid in some way for those mistakes. But I've tried to learn from them. I'm still here to keep learning from my mistakes. My friend Robb was a year or two younger than I am. I'm pissed that he chose this path. Guilty that I didn't see him before he passed away. Angry that no one could find a way to help him.

You were an intelligent man, could have and did pave your own way in this world. Your friends, the people in and around your life loved and cared about you. I hope that you now know peace and that the demons in this life don't follow you to the next.

Be at peace. You dick. My friend.
Robb D - 08/29/14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home